- 100g Craggs & Co Wholegrain Spelt Flour
- 100g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 100g smooth almond butter
- 60g Demerara sugar
- 60g Granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 40g plain chocolate, cut into small chunks
- 40g whole almonds, chopped
Makes: 10 cookies
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 10-12 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Place the butter, almond butter, Demerara and granulated sugar together in a bowl and cream together until pale and fluffy. Alternatively, use a free-standing mixer.
- Gradually add the egg to the mixture until well combined.
- Add the baking powder and bicarbonate of soda to the flour, and sift over the creamed mixture. Mix well together until the mixture looks smoother and is beginning to form a dough.
- With a spatula or large spoon, fold in the chopped chocolate and almonds.
- Line two baking trays with baking powder.
- Using a tablespoon or ice-cream scoops onto the trays, five on each. Make sure you space them well apart as they will spread in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for five minutes, remove the tray from the oven and give a good, quick, sharp tap on the worktop to stop them rising any further in the oven.
- Return the tray to the oven for a further 6-8 minutes, until the cookies are golden brown oat the edges.
- Leave to cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes, then place onto a cooling rack to fully cool down.
Tip: Almond butter gives these cookies a slightly less salty flavour, but you can always change to peanut butter.
Thank you to Sandra Heinze who kindly created this delicious recipe for us. To see more of her recipes please visit her blog for more inspiration.