Wholemeal Spelt Soda Bread
- 250g Craggs & Co Wholemeal Spelt Flour
- 250g Craggs & Co Plain Spelt Flour
- 1tsp bicarbonate soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/ tsp salt,
- 420 ml buttermilk, or half milk and plain yoghurt
- 1oz butter or margarine
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6, or use the top oven of an AGA.
- In a large bowl, sieve and mix together the two types of flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Rub in the butter/margarine.
- Add the buttermilk or mixed milk and yoghurt, and mix gently to a sticky dough.
- Put the dough onto a cold lightly flour dusted work surface.
- Do not knead, just gently roll and fold and shape the dough into a round flat ball, then flatten gently with your hand. Score the dough with a deep cross dividing it into quarters. Dust the bread with flour.
- Place onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment and bake for 30 minutes at 200C/400F/Gas 6. The loaf should be golden-brown.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack. This loaf is best eaten on the day of baking!